Snowboarding HomeEmailWebsite Login

SnowboardingHomepageSnowboard StoreSnowboard ForumSnowboarding PicturesWeatherMiscellaneousContact Us

Go Back   Snowboarding Forum > Main > General
User Name
Password

Old 01-27-2004, 12:27 AM

View User's
Snowboarding Pictures
cold = broken bindings??

Ok, first post, long story short.. new to snowboarding, only been out three times, just twice this season (last week), once a few years ago when I snapped my radius.. fun fun..

So anyway, I just bought a new setup last week.. 02/03 nitro team 159 (a tad short for me but I'll live), 02/03 Drake F-60s, and Saloman Dialogue boots..

On just my second day out (this past Sunday at Belleayre) I broke a binding barely halfway through the day.. heelstrap rubber snapped just after the screw, only one of the rubber strips, not both, so I was able to (badly) finish my run.

My boarding buddy had a set of Burton (somethings) that were brand new that broke once on Friday, and once again Sunday an hour or two after mine.

The repair shop dudes are all saying "it's because it's so cold out" and I'm just wondering.. is this everyone elses experience? I'm no expert at this, but it's my impression that for "out in the snow" sports, "it's so cold" makes about as much sense as saying "it's too wet" with boating equipment. Obviously extremely low temperatures much farther away from where I live are an exception, but this just doesn't sound right to me.

Do the rest of you tend to break a lot of bindings when it's fairly cold out, say around 0F? Is this just something I should come to expect?
Old 01-27-2004, 12:40 AM

View User's
Snowboarding Pictures
i've never broken a binding strap or anything to do with the binding. My first suggestion would be to stop stepping on the straps . Right now its -35 celcius here without windchill, I'm sure the strap would snap after a day out in the cold if I stepped on it.. but if its only around -10/-15 you shouldnt be too worried about it. Could just be bad luck I guess?
Old 01-27-2004, 01:36 AM

View User's
Snowboarding Pictures
hmmmm

Well.. I could be stepping on them, that's something I'll pay more attention to.. I hadn't thought about it.. I'm sure every so often I step on them when I get off the lift, and sometimes when I'm not careful the toestraps are under my foot when I start to strap in.. thanks for that bit of advice.

I think you're right about the 'bad luck' but because the guys both at the lodge and where I bought the gear have said "it's because it's so cold" I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience..

I wouldn't say I'm worried about it, just a little miffed watching three acts of strap destruction between us in just two days out. The shop actually gave my friend new bindings because they said they were having a lot of problems with these Burtons he got from them.. K2 V9's he has now IIRC.. will definitely be watching to see if there's any difference.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to SkitzoRabbit
View User's
Snowboarding Pictures
This month i was in tremblant Canada during the worst of the cold. One particular day it was -50 below celcius and was still crazy enough to go out, got a nice bit of frostbite but thats not the point.

The point is on this very cold day at the top of the mountain it was hard to go 10 feet without seeing another or another pile of broken straps in the snow. Maybe all those people stepped on the incredibly cold straps that would have been ok in warmer weather. The cold does play a part, a big one, a friend of mine (step-ins) broke his strap just trying to put it in the binding that day. Luckily they're pretty cheap, hopefully whatever mountain you may be on has ones to fit you.

Tip: always keep an extra set in your car for emergencies.

~Skitz
Old 01-27-2004, 09:43 AM

View User's
Snowboarding Pictures
I think at this point I'm just going to keep a set in my pocket at all times, "just in case."

The repair shop at the lodge was helpful and mcguivered up a strap for me when I came in for free.. they just had a box of them laying there, probably from bindings that really broke I guess..

Didn't look right, didn't feel right at all either, but once I got home and looked closer, I noticed they put it on upside down. Wouldn't matter normally I guess, but this one has a metal (or abs) front with a lip at the top for your shin, straight across on the bottom. Wouldn't have worked the other way though as the ratchet piece was on the opposite side. All this describing isn't doing it justice, I'll just take some pictures..

The normal binding:

The mcguiver binding:

Fullsize unscaled, uncropped images are availabile here..

[URL=http://asym.macroshell.com/doom/20040127/binding_normal.jpg]Normal binding (large image)[/URL]

[URL=http://asym.macroshell.com/doom/20040127/binding_mcguiver.jpg]Mcguiver binding (large image)[/URL]
Old 03-16-2004, 11:56 PM

View User's
Snowboarding Pictures
ive been boarding when it -20 and ive nevr ever broke my binding, thats crazy dude,

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: